Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine's Day Special - To my friends and family


            As it is Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d post a special blog and this seemed appropriate. I know single people won’t put much stock in what I’m about to say because I am in a relationship, but I believe that Valentine’s Day is not just for couples. It’s a day to show your love, and that doesn’t always have to be romantic love. Take this for example: When I was in  middle school, on Valentine’s Day, my grandparents and my aunt and uncle would send me some flowers and candy. It was small, but it was sweet and it never failed to make me smile. So, with that thought in mind, here’s the special Valentine’s Day blog.
            I am writing this with friends in mind, friends who are not going to be with their significant other on Valentine’s Day, either because of distance (3,000 miles in one case) or they just haven’t found that person yet. Every year without fail, when V-Day rolls around, you start hearing people complain about it, or you see them figuratively flipping Cupid and the entire day off. As I said before, I am in a relationship and have been for nearing four and a half years now, so you might not put much stock in what I have to say. Tough donkey kong.
            Humans are very social creatures             and whether or not we realize it, unless we are just plain weird, we all seek socialization and acceptance at some point or another. Some more than others, others more successfully than some, you get the point. The point is that we need each other, and love is the next step from that. We’ve all seen the movies or read the sappy Highlander romance novels. Love is grand, but even better is unconditional love, which is what we all want, and we have more of it than we realize. Let me pull a professor move and define unconditional love for the ignorant folks in the crowd.
            Unconditional love is what you see when two people are willing to die for each other, but it’s even more than that. It’s love for better or worse, through thick and thin, through someone being an asshole and the other just being a pain in the ass. *insert favorite The Notebook quote here* It’s also standing together when life throws you a curveball. A lot of people seem to forget that unconditional love is not just from a lover. Most of us are fortunate enough to get it from our parents too. Even fewer of us are lucky enough to get it from friends we’ve picked up over the years. You get what I am saying? If your parents are still standing behind you after many a screaming match over the years, if those friends tell you that you are just being a complete pain and yet they’re still there, that’s unconditional love.
            Unless you are just really isolated (and if so, I am sorry) on Valentine’s Day, you have what matters around you. Maybe not all of it or the one you love most, but it’s still something to be glad for. So today, the day of love, tell someone close by that you love them, and be thankful they’re there. This blog is my way of telling my college family that I love them and hope they have the best Valentine’s Day ever.
            One final thing, and this is from me to my parents and was the original intent when I started working on this blog, but then I decided to make it a Valentine’s Day blog and it got reworked (big time).
            To my parents, who love  me through thick and thin, who have allowed me to grow at my own pace and come into who I really need to be without too much fussing, I love you and I always will. If you ever doubt that, just think of that YouTube video where the kid was telling his mom “I love you too, but I don’t like you all the time.” Even with unconditional love, truer words have never been spoken by a small child.
            Happy Valentine’s Day all!


Dedicated to the friends and family still dumb enough to call me theirs. When will y’all learn? ^_^ I love you all!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment