Monday, June 25, 2012

Short and Sweet


The summer between fifth and sixth grade, I split my time between the woman I had stayed with since I was small, and hanging out at my grandparents’ house. Mawmaw worked, but Pawpaw had days off that I got to spend away from the noise and chaos of my usual babysitter’s. In all honesty, I spent most of that summer laid out in the floor of the living room, writing and watching CMT. Pawpaw was outside working, but he would come in every now and again for a sip of Sprite. I wrote most of my first story that summer.
            Recently, due to circumstances being what they are, I found myself sitting in that living room again, with not much of anyone else around. Because it was seven o’clock in the morning, there was nothing else on so I turned it to CMT and ended up watching music videos. I also took my laptop up there so I was writing. It did not hit  me until that moment that it was like the past was echoing before me. The timing of it was also something worth noting, just because of what has been going on lately. It was almost like one last look at what my life was like before I graduate in six months and move on with everything. It was enough to give me pause.
            Growing pains do not stop once you are physically grown. That’s something I have become increasingly aware of in the past several months. Life is sometimes nothing but growing pains. I guess that’s where that saying “roll with the punches” comes in. Crying over spilled milk never got anyone anywhere, but sometimes you just can’t help it. I know that better than anyone.
            I’m going to cut it short this week. There’s a lot going on right now so my mind is elsewhere. Thanks to any loyal readers out there, I do appreciate you. Oh, and if you haven’t seen it yet, I have a website up www.carolinakel.weebly.com. There is a forum there, section for book reviews, and a couple of other things. Any feedback is always welcome!
            Till next week my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment