Friday, March 22, 2013

Living the Charmed Life



            Most of us live a charmed life. Maybe I’m just an oddball but every now and again, I just randomly stop and think, usually while going down the road, that how cool is it that I’m rolling around in a Ford Mustang? It’s GRAY. The body style I like. It’s paid off. It only hiccups every now and again and I’m lucky enough to have someone looking out for me when it does. Maybe it’s materialistic, but these thoughts are the kind that remind me that I am one damn lucky woman and I should stop bitching and count my blessings.
            Since I’ve graduated and been sitting around the house waiting for one of the jobs I applied for to turn up, I’ve also been doing a lot of writing and a lot of Facebooking. Not much different from before, eh? I’m going somewhere with this. There is one person on my friends list…wait. There’s actually a couple that do this. They’re still in school and most of their posts are about how they don’t have any money or they’re so stressed out with their work load and now as an outsider looking in all I can think is quitcha bitchen. The first one that I was going to mention is a theatre major. She majors in theatre. Acting. Shakespeare. Comedy. Tragedy. Romance. You get it. Now, I came out with a degree in English so I should in theory be defending her but for this one time, I’m going to slip.
            It’s a foo-foo major. I mean really. Mine is too, just a wee bit. We can write up all this crap about critical thinking and whatnot, but the truth of the matter is, we are damn lucky. And we still bitch and moan about it. That’s not to say that we won’t use our majors and become successful members of society, but think about it. We live in a society where we are not only allowed but encouraged to pursue our interests, instead of something more practical. I know that sometimes it sucks and schedules get gridlocked and everyone is super, super busy, but come on. Stop and enjoy it. Be grateful for what you’re doing. Be grateful that even if you have no money to go out to eat or buy the latest game, that you have a roof over your head, electricity, running water, INTERNET!
            I like to think that, even if I bit my fiancé’s head off every now and again, I enjoyed college while the going was good. I would like to think I kept a good handle on my stress level and I think, compared to some, I succeeded. And I came out with a pretty decent GPA. Not the best, but the memories outweigh that disappointment.
            I’ve seen postings lately bemoaning the saying about remembering there’s always someone who has it worse, because it’s like saying don’t be happy because someone has it better. I think that’s a croc of shit. The saying about people having it worse than you is not to say you shouldn’t be upset but that you should shut up a wee bit and count your blessings for a minute because it honestly could be worse. Be grateful for the good in your life, even if it doesn’t seem terribly significant. And the best part about that, stopping for a minute to count your blessings, is that it can change your mindset and make the world a much brighter place. That’s something we can all use from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment