Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for Dante



            D is for Dante, or more specifically, Dante’s Inferno. I may be talking about the actual story written by Dante Alighieri, but I’m really talking about the game for Xbox 360 called Dante’s Inferno. My, my, my, what a twisted game. And even more twisted how much I enjoyed it.
            To a certain extent, the game turned the original story on its head. Dante is the main character, who must go through the nine levels of hell to rescue his beloved Beatrice. Spoiler alert: He’s the reason she was yanked to hell in the first place. She bet the devil that he would be faithful to her while he was away on the Crusades and, well, she was wrong.
            The entire game is about Dante absolving his own sins, hidden under the mask of fighting for God and all the righteousness that entails. Plus, the priests said they would be absolved of their sins.
            Here’s a tip. Priests lie.
            Behind Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which is heavily influenced by Celtic mythology, my favorite games are Alice: Madness Returns and Dante’s Inferno. Both are hack and slash games with a certain amount of twisted madness to them. And I love it.
            I love reading and writing love stories and the typical fighting for the greater good plotline. But every now and then, it needs to be balanced out by some good old fashioned blood and gore and darkness that makes you wonder if all of mankind isn’t inherently evil and that we have to constantly battle that side of ourselves all the time.
            This post is coming on a Friday. Maybe, after work, I need to reacquaint myself with the darker side of human nature. Oh, Xbox is such a glorious thing.
            Side note to any readers! First off, thank you for reading. Second, if you do decide to comment, feel free to include a link to your blog! To make returning the favor a little more simple when I play catch up this weekend.
            Thanks! Kelswitch, over and out.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment