Monday, April 7, 2014

Long Live the Streak

The pin heard around the world.

If you're not a wrestling fan, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Seven years ago, I wouldn't have had a clue what I was talking about. Wrestling is something Bear got me into and it's become one of those things that we enjoy together. Last night, since he has the WWE Network, we gathered with our friends and watched the biggest pay-per-view of the wrestling year.
I have to admit. I've been feeling a little burned out on wrestling, even though Bear is a die-hard fan. After last night, I think I'm done for a while, personally. There's one big reason for this and it is making headlines this morning.
The Undertaker's Streak has been defeated. He is now 21-1 at Wrestlemania. And we're all 100% sure they did not mean for that to happen.
I'm a little mad at WWE for letting Undertaker go up against Brock Lesner. He's a phenomenal wrestler, don't get me wrong, but in recent years, the challenge to the Streak is the only time he wrestles all year. He doesn't do Monday Night Raw or Friday Night Smackdown anymore and you can see that the hell he put his body through over the years is catching up a bit.
So putting him against the Beast was stupid. A challenge worthy of the Undertaker, but one that should have been done five years ago, when he was in a little better condition. The Streak should not have ended like that, and you could see from the looks on everyone's faces that it was NOT supposed to happen. Rumors are saying that Undertaker has a concussion and that is why he didn't kick out when he was supposed to.
A room full of five people that had been talking and laughing just seconds before went dead quiet when the ref said THREE. It wasn't supposed to end like this. I had always hoped that he would get to retire undefeated, but that is out of the question now. I'm mad at Lesner but I'm even angrier with the WWE for letting it happen.
Undertaker, I know the chances of you reading this are 1 in 1,000,000 but you deserve for this to be put out there. From one storyteller to another, thank you. Thank you for all the great matches, for the chilling entrances that make grown people want to believe in the phenom, and for all the hell you've no doubt put your body through in the name of entertainment. Even the Frog Queen, who couldn't care one bit about wrestling, enjoyed your matches.
Though we sincerely hope this isn't the end, if it indeed turns out to be, we will all be looking for you to be in the Hall of Fame Class of 2015.

Kelswitch, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment