Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Death of the Homework



            You know what I look forward to the most about being out of college? The end to sixteen years of continuous homework and always having more to do when you come home for the day. I think a lot of people do not realize how fantastic that is, or they say that bills are your homework in the real world. Somehow, I doubt that. It’s not every night. It’s not typically something that can keep you up until three o’clock in the morning because you are trying to get the signature on that check just right. Think about it for a minute.
            I’ve been in school for almost as long as I can remember and the idea of coming home from work and that being it just blows my mind. That won’t be the case if I become a full time writer, but I can live with that. It’s still different from the homework load that most of us have stared at in horror for the better part of our lives.
            When I have senior seminar and a few other hairy things breathing down my neck, it gives me pause to think of afternoons where I come home and maybe I cook dinner, maybe I don’t, and then I sit down with a book to read for pleasure.
            A lot of people seem to write off college life as easy and nothing but parties and waking up at noon to go to class. Maybe that is the case for some, but not everyone lives like that. I get up at eight usually, which is sleeping in for people like my parents, but anyway! I’m up and getting ready and if I’m lucky, I get breakfast before walking up the hill to class. All  of my classes are uphill. Whenever I get out of class, it’s on to volunteer hours (that’s a whole other can of worms) and homework or working as a writing tutor in the writing center or as a writing fellow. I’m usually doing something right up until bedtime, which for me is around midnight or later. I sleep for six to eight hours, get up, and do it all over again.
            The real world will have a different pace to it, that’s for sure, one that I look forward to in all of my educated ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment