Sunday, January 27, 2013

Back to the Dungeon



            My evolution as a writer is a funny story. It’s been a series of ups and downs, sometimes reflecting what was going on in my life, as is the story for most writers. Since 2007, I have been a member of Writer’s Café, a cool site that a friend recommended to me ages ago. The ups and downs could be reflected there. I went through a period where I closed my account. Then I opened it back up and suddenly, I couldn’t write fast enough. A bunch of short pieces, but writing nonetheless. I was writing and reading and reviewing and loving every minute of it. And then I became addicted to Sex and the City. Suddenly, I went through a period of wanting to write nothing but nonfiction, things like Carrie Bradshaw wrote. This was about the time that I switched majors to follow my dream of being a writer. It was also when my writing on the Café trickled to a halt.
            In the time since, I have started and maintained a blog in which I posted my musings about life and my fellow human beings. I created a website to forward myself as a writer. I deleted everything I had posted to Writer’s Café with the intention of somehow correlating that account to my website. This was all before I graduated with my English degree. My nonfiction leanings found their playground in my English classes, particularly in my experiences in Senior Sem. I actually enjoyed writing about Ron Rash’s work.
            Now that I have my degree and my obsession with Sex and the City is fading to more of a “I go to you when I need comfort, you’re my TV chocolate” (that I still indulge in too much), I’m at a point in my life that I will probably look back on with disgust and semi-hatred. That’s to say, I’m without a clear direction for the first time. I miss nearly everything about college, about school in general. And I’m fearful of the future and where it will take me. More like where it won’t take me, truth be told. A psychologist would probably attribute my longing for my campus to that.
            In addition to feeling a lack of direction, I’ve also been twiddling my thumbs with my site and my writing in general. I’ve had ideas and I’ve been slowly working on my current novel obsession. What I’ve been at a loss for is what to do with my site, my blog, and my Writer’s Café account.
            I’ve seen people who get bogged down by the things that aren’t going right in their lives and I don’t want to be one of them. I’ve always tried to enjoy my life for what it is and to do anything less feels like a violation of everything I’ve ever believed in. With that being said, I’ve come to somewhat of a conclusion as to what to do with my…everything. It’s all about my writing, not about my website. The site is a central place to find it all.
            Speaking of which, I’ve posted two new things to the Café. Well, they’re not that new, but they’re new to the Café.

No comments:

Post a Comment