Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Shower Stalls and Turkey Dinners, Oh My!



            Don’t ask me how, but the shower is such a divine place for inspiration. It’s a good place to think up dialogue for my stories, but of course most of it has slipped my mind by the time I get in front of a computer again. Every now and again though, it sticks and what comes from my fingers and onto the word document is pure gold. Or, at least it is until I’ve had time to review it and think it’s garbage.
            Six months ago, an idea I had been batting around finally clicked into place when I was in the shower. I dove for my computer afterwards and between 10:30pm and midnight, I wrote 2,149 words in a new novel. The next day, I wrote 12,019 words, finishing a thirty page prologue that would change everything.
            This has been a long year. It’s been one with a lot of stumbling in the woods, lost with no idea which way to go. Blood Shadows has helped a little, giving me some sense of direction even if all the doubts are screaming it’s the wrong one. I just pray that I can look back on this year and feel that everything went as it was supposed to, that this year wasn’t just a waste.  
            I’m a very sentimental person. I like looking back and seeing meaning. I actually have a bit of a New Years tradition for myself. At the end of the year, I record in my journal all the good and cool things that happened to me over the last twelve months. Places I’ve been, things I’ve done, people I’ve met, something to show that I’ve had a good year. Last year, I was able to write down that I graduated from college. This year? I’ve got a list I can think of off the top of my head. Blood Shadows will be on that list. Shadows Past will be on that list, especially if it makes it to Amazon before January, but I’m not counting on it.
            “What will be, will be,” the song goes. You put yourself out there and pray for the best, even if nothing seems to bite. Even if you’ve lived in the same place for twenty-five years, you’re still worlds away from where you were. Things change, you change, and it’s all moving forward, for better or worse. I keep that in mind when it feels like I’ll be stuck in this phase for the rest of my life. By the time I hit forty, I’ll have been through so much more and it’s no way possible that I’ll still be in the same place.
            Give it time and count your blessings. It’s been a motto for this year and on this holiday season, it’s even more fitting than usual. I do count my blessings, I do give thanks for all that I have. I hope you do too.
           
            Since this is likely the only blog I’ll post this week, I’m going to go ahead and wish my readers a Happy Thanksgiving! Safe travels and if you go shopping on Black Friday, please be careful.
                        Kelswitch, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment