Monday, December 30, 2013

Thirteen is Laid to Rest


            2013 will always be the year that I really began drinking coffee. It’s funny, I held out from becoming a coffee monster until after I graduated from college. Most people live on coffee and energy drinks in those times. Not me. I’ve never had my first energy drink. I relied on good ole fashioned Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper to get me through particularly bad nights/mornings. When I was holed up in a room working on my senior paper for seven hours straight, I got through it and the next morning with Mello Yello. And the odd assortment of snacks and giggle fits. Social media helped too, as my friend and I traded war stories over Twitter and Facebook with our fellow classmates. Ahh, memories. But that was 2012. This blog is supposed to be all about 2013.
            Goodness, where to start?
            2013 may be looked back on as one big fat question mark. Where did this year go? What did I make of it? The surface answer is I have no earthly idea. But Mama Odie says you gotta dig a little deeper.
            2013 means coffee, and lots of it. Game of Thrones, and a music obsession that still won’t go away. Adventures to the mountains and the Outer Banks of this beautiful state I call home. Times of laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe, and being so angry I couldn’t think straight. 2013 is the first full year that we’ve seen without Pawpaw and over the holidays, I felt his absence. I hope I always will, that I never forget what it was like to have him around.
            What can I say about this year? Just that I’ve lived. I’m not where I’d hoped to be by now, but that’s okay. It will come in due time. In the meantime, we lay 2013 to rest and welcome 2014 with a big sigh of relief as the wheel turns and we get another chance at a new beginning.
            How blessed are we?
            I hope any and all readers of the Kelswitch had a very Merry Christmas and that you have a safe and wonderful New Years. I plan to be with my closest circle of friends, toasting in the new beginning with laughter and joy. I could ask for no more, truth be told.


This picture comes from a Facebook page called Tainted Butterfly. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment