Friday, October 19, 2012

Authors Against Bullying - My Little Contribution



            This is a little late in coming, but as the saying goes, better late than never. There are many anti-bullying campaigns out there and today I want to participate in one, at least in my own small way. One of my favorite writers participated today in what she called a blog hop, with the Twitter hash tag of #AuthorsAgainstBullying. She shared her own story and provided links where teens can get help if no one in their lives is supportive. The link to that blog is here: http://www.galenorn.com/Blog/2012/10/authors-against-bullying/ Included in that blog are links to other authors who participated as well.
            What’s sad to me that as strong as the efforts are to put an end to bullying, there are still people promoting it for their own twisted agendas. This past week, I read an article where the American Family Association went against an anti-bully campaign under the assertion that it promoted a homosexual agenda. The link to that is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/us/seeing-a-homosexual-agenda-christian-group-protests-an-anti-bullying-program.html?_r=1&emc=tnt&tntemail1=y
            As a Pagan in a predominately Christian nation, I have come to the conclusion that you have the right to think that I am a sinner and that I will go to hell for my beliefs. But that does not give you the right to treat me like dirt. In this life, in the here and now, no one has the right to treat you like dirt however, everyone has the right to be loved. I was not bullied as a kid. I flew under the radar for the most part in school. People wrote me off as the quiet, smart girl and I was fine with that. I have no story to share or inspire, but I do have this to say: people are amazingly resilient. I know people who have been through hell and came back stronger than ever. It is possible, even if your own peers treat you like crap.
            Another thing I’ve become aware of since going down the Pagan path is that society as a whole badly needs to learn to coexist. Kids more than any other age group can be extremely vicious to someone different from them, unless they are taught to know better.
            The people I know who are capable of coexisting with different people fall into one of two categories: They were either taught to be that way by their parents, or by their secondary education. It needs to start younger. As a woman, I’ve said I’ll teach my daughters to love themselves and not the image society presents for them to be. I’ll teach my sons the same. Especially as a dual faith household, our children will also learn to accept others for their differences. After all, Mommy worships mother nature and Daddy wears a cross around his neck all the time.
            Everyone deserves to be loved and treated with respect. If you find yourself lacking, hang in there. There are better people in the world. Trust me. I know a few of them.
            Blessed be.

No comments:

Post a Comment