Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Letter to a Loved One - Halloween Post Pt. 1



            It is Samhain, the veil is thin now as the air chills. Maybe you can hear  me from three hours away. Maybe, if we both reach out, I’ll feel your hand. Are you there?
            I miss you. I regret I wasn’t around more for the last few years of your life. I regret taking my family for granted, thinking that they would always be there. I should have known better. Life and death is the cycle and death always comes for what belongs to it. You do now, belong to death, belong to the summerlands. A soul like yours, you must be rejoicing now, free of the shell that was your body and your prison. If you long for your family, rest easy. We’ll be along soon. But I know you. Those words you spoke to me, you said you were glad it was you and not one of us. You sounded ready for whatever came. You gave me peace without even realizing it.
            It seems fitting that we read my story about you today, of all days, in class. On this Samhain, I will speak your name. Gone but not forgotten, as the saying goes. I love you Pawpaw.

By the maiden, mother, and crone, you will always be in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment