Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Samhain 2012 Pt. 2



            In my part of the world, snow is melting on the ground, but high up on the mountains, it’s still as visible as if the ground were completely covered. The air has gone beyond crisp and into downright chilly. This is all thanks to hurricane Sandy, but I hope it stays this way. Our winter last year was so mild that I fully expect Momma to take what is hers, with interest.
            To some people, it’s just another day. Or they suddenly realize, hey, it’s Halloween! In case you were unawares, Halloween is more than just a time for kids to get on a sugar high while in full costume. Halloween comes from Samhain (pronounced Sow-en), the last of the harvest festivals and the time when we honor our ancestors. It’s also the time when the veils between worlds thin and Pagans celebrate a new year. Our wheel turns again and things begin to change.
            You know, it may seem odd to celebrate a new year on Samhain, at the tail end of October, but think about it for just a minute. We are entering into the darkest part of the year and all life begins in darkness. It’s just the order of things. I learned a long time ago that darkness is not always evil, which is why movies like Legend crack me up a little bit. As strange as it seems, new life is nurtured in darkness for a while before it is ready to meet the light. A new baby is held in the protective darkness of his mother’s womb for nine months before he is ready to greet the world. Perhaps that is why I have an affinity with the “dark” goddesses.
            I remember where I was last year at this time and I know I am a world away from that place. I wonder where the next year will take me. I wonder who will come into my life and who will leave.
            My plans for Halloween aren’t that extravagant and I pray that this is the last year that is the case. They’re mostly hampered by the fact that I have to write a paper tonight. However, my plans include making a Halloween-ish playlist on my computer, watching some good witchy movies, doing some tarot readings, and something else that is a little personal, but I’ve been thinking about for a while. Suffice to say, I need a way to honor my dead and this is the simplistic approach, but it’s the most ritualistic you’ll get out of me for now.
            Everyone, stay safe, have a good sugar high, remember your loved ones on the other side of the veil, and don’t forget to howl at the moon. Have a blessed Samhain.

No comments:

Post a Comment