Monday, October 7, 2013

We're going to have to work on getting the broomstick out of your....



            Last night was the premiere of Witches of East End on Lifetime and as a diehard witch fan and lifelong Charmed junkie, I of course had to check it out. I knew going in that there would probably be negative reviews, but I usually disagree with those. It turned out that I really enjoyed the show. It intrigued me and made me laugh. More than that, it took the time slot Charmed held for so long. Suffice to say, I’ll be tuning in again next week. Then I wake up this morning and as I browsed Facebook on my Kindle, I come across the negative reviews I anticipated.
            I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the two touchiest groups of people that I’ve met are feminists and Pagans. Not all, maybe not even a majority, but in these groups you will find touchy people who take everything personally or negatively. It was expected that Pagans, practicing witches, would not like this show. They would blast it for wrongfully representing them to the public. And that was exactly what I saw on Facebook this morning. It was just a few out of the comment thread who did exactly as I predicted, but I still had to put my two cents in.
            Charmed was the reason I found out Wicca existed at all. Charmed was the reason I found my poison for fiction and devoured every book on witches I could get my hands on. I was smart enough, even at age eleven, to know what was real and what wasn’t. And I was curious enough that all the information based in fact that those books carried, I read up on it and more. And eventually found my path in Paganism, following a Goddess who speaks to me and a God who finally got tired of me not paying him any mind. He is a long story, for another blog.
            The bottom line is that Charmed, just like Witches of East End, was fiction. It isn’t real, but what the Pagan community often misses when they blast it is how many people it brought to this side of the tracks. Just by introducing the real idea that people out there believe in magic. From there, we learn that there is a way to practice it. It’s not bright flashes of light and dramatic music, but it’s a force of will, almost like a prayer, seeking change in our world. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. And every action carries a consequence, balance must be honored and kept within ourselves and the world around us. These are the things I learned and the things that resonated within me, just because I was introduced to a show about three sister witches and decided I wanted to read more about fictional witches. They say fiction is based in fact and in this case, they are very much right. But not in the way these touchy Pagans think.
            I’ve addressed this topic on the Kelswitch a few times before and I’ll keep writing about it until people understand. Both my community of those who were brave enough to step away from the majority religions like Christianity and Catholicism, and those who are still in those faiths and think witches are evil.
            Speaking of magic, part two of Shadows Moved will be posted to the Kelswitch at sometime in the near future. Maybe this week, maybe not. I’ve got a job interview today and if I get it, I have a feeling my writing time will go down severely. I’ll be happy for the paycheck, but sad for that. Even so, that’s not why I’m choosing not to participate in National Novel Writing Month this year. I’ve never done it before, but I decided that I’m a little past doing it. It’s an order of 50,000 words in a month, a very rough first draft of a novel and I’ve already done that this year. By November, I plan to be elbow deep in revisions, if not working on book two. But good luck to all who are participating!
            Now, I’ve got a list of stuff I should be getting done before my interview this afternoon. Happy Monday from the Kelswitch! Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment