Friday, January 31, 2014

Chasing a Dream....GOTCHA!



            The wise believe that the world is what we make it and the older I get, the more I realize that they are right. Take, for instance, the happiness in a jar challenge. From January 1st onward, every time something good happens to you, you write it on a slip of paper and put it in your jar. On December 31st, you are to open the jar and read all the wonderful things that happened over the last year.
            I decided to do happiness in a jar for 2014 and thus far, I have about three or four slips of paper in mine, but here’s the real kicker: I’m always looking for what will go in there next. I’m always searching for the next good thing to come into my life and it’s amazing how that state of mind seems to reflect in what is currently going on. I’m spending time with my loved ones, meeting new people, attending cool events, trying out my hand at freelancing with the local paper, and now, publishing my novella to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.
            Here’s another kicker. None of this stuff just manifested out of thin air. It’s all been in the works for some time, whether or not I was aware of it. So, in reality, we all might be surrounded by happiness but unaware of it until we purposely go looking. Mind blowing, huh?
            Today is a big day. Shadows Rising makes its debut on the Kindle scene. I’ve already hit some walls I didn’t expect, but there shouldn’t be any trouble and it’s all part of the learning process. I don’t expect big success with this, but the saying goes you get what you give. I give my first story to the world in the hopes that one day, I’ll be able to do even more.
            Writing began for Shadows Rising on the first of September, last year. I finished on the sixth of November, which is actually not too bad, given my track record. Then I dragged editing out for two, almost three months. Every bit of writing is a learning experience though.  What did I learn from this novella?
            I can finish something. I can write something that even my nit-picky mother will enjoy. I can be published and establish myself as a real writer. Who knows where this road will lead? All I can say is that I’m here for the ride and I’m going to enjoy the hell out of it, no matter where it takes me.
            Watch my Facebook and Twitter for updates on Shadows Rising. You can find these under the Links to Fun Stuff tab. Until later, Kelswitch over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment